[Histonet] bone marrow specimens

Clare Thornton CThornton <@t> dahlchase.com
Thu Feb 14 08:22:03 CST 2013

What fixative and decal solution is everyone using for bone marrow specimens which will have subsequent IHC and Kappa/Lambda ISH staining?  We are currently using B+ fixative and Decal A (formic acid and formaldehyde).  Our pathologists demand a quick turn around time, and are willing to sacrifice some quality for this, but we are having issues with our Kappa/Lambda ISH stains not highlighting all the plasma cells.  The staining tends to be stronger on the outer edge of the tissue, and weakens or disappears entirely towards the middle, so I'm thinking the fixation and/or decal is the problem.  We run our K/L ISH using Ventana instrumentation and reagents.

Thank you in advance!

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP)QIHC
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services