[Histonet] What's on that H&E?

joelle weaver joelleweaver <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:04:10 CST 2013

Just depends on the protocol at that laboratory- often at the discretion of the pathologist(s) reading or the medical director- I guess all variations  are acceptable so long as all the sections are of good quality, they may not want/need serials, but prefer levels, and if  they meet the diagnostic needs, and are representative of the tissue sample.  I think you could do things a lot of different ways dependant on the tissue type and clinical differential. I have seen and done many of the variations you mention in your post, up to 9-12 serial sections ( rows of  3 ribbons on one slide) and up to 12 levels ( specific depth into the block) on single or multiple slides., with special stains and IHC levels thrown in as well- so "sky's the limit"  to me as to what might work for your lab and pathologists. Sometimes you don't really need to provide all the extra sections, but for some specimens that might make sense. So I like it when the protocols are pretty specific- though that variability may not apply to your lab if you do only a few tissue types. Anyhow I would rather do all that is likely to be needed the first time into the block, no matter how complicated the protocol,  than have to recut it again and again. You might end up losing too much tissue that you need later for molecular or other testing too. Outside numbers are a good initial benchmark to me, but your own productivity statistics and staff are often a lot more meaningful. I have just seen different numbers for rates on these protocols versus single section slides.  Maybe do a side by side, of having them read single section slides  and then the same specimen type ( as similar as possible) with other different sectioning using complex  protocols with times to produce in sectioning time, stain throughput, all variables you can think of- maybe they may have different opinions then? Just an idea.

Joelle Weaver MAOM, HTL (ASCP) QIHC