[Histonet] RE: embedding problem

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Thu Feb 7 09:36:30 CST 2013

John

Have you tried paraffin?  I know that we have been able to section some plastic devices with paraffin sections, it may be worth a try.  Looks like the device you are working with is compatable with xylene, we have found in some cases that we need to use a xylene subsititute.

Liz

Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 881-0763 cell
(303) 682-9060 fax
liz <@t> premierlab.com

Ship to address:

Premier Laboratory, LLC
1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Baker, John [bakerj <@t> med.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 8:19 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] embedding problem

I had to sign up again for the Histonet so I am not sure if this question went out so will resend.  thanks
Hello Histonetters,  We are trying to embed a polycarbonate device with soft tissue attached to look at the implant interface.  The problem is that with several standard protocols for pmma processing the clearing agent (methyl salicylate or xylene) and the methacrylate monomer dissolves the polycarbonate.  Does anyone have any experience trying process such a thing, an embedding media (pmma, OCT for cryo, etc.), and then a method of sectioning it keeping the interface intact?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions! John

John A. Baker
The University of Michigan
Orthopaedic Research Laboratories
Histology Unit