[Histonet] embedding problem

Baker, John bakerj <@t> med.umich.edu
Thu Feb 7 09:19:39 CST 2013

I had to sign up again for the Histonet so I am not sure if this question went out so will resend.  thanks
Hello Histonetters,  We are trying to embed a polycarbonate device with soft tissue attached to look at the implant interface.  The problem is that with several standard protocols for pmma processing the clearing agent (methyl salicylate or xylene) and the methacrylate monomer dissolves the polycarbonate.  Does anyone have any experience trying process such a thing, an embedding media (pmma, OCT for cryo, etc.), and then a method of sectioning it keeping the interface intact?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions! John

John A. Baker
The University of Michigan
Orthopaedic Research Laboratories
Histology Unit