[Histonet] RE: High complexity test

Tim Higgins thigginsht <@t> msn.com
Thu Feb 7 08:58:12 CST 2013

Hey Kathy,

It is not considered a High Complexity test on the staining side of it.  You don't need any special degree or certification, I know we all want our profession to fetch more money and respect and a good way is make a mountain out of molehill to use an old saying.

Now here is the gray area, the high complexity could come with the resulting of the stains, such as ER, PR, HER2 using an semi-quantitative detection and algorithms.

The simple "robotics" of staining is not considered high complexity, you do need knowledge and understanding of how detection kits work and antibodies react so and so forth, but its still not considered high complexity.

Best way is to call CAP or whatever governing body your under and ask the question and document who you spoke with if there is nothing in writing.

Tim H.