[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 111, Issue 5

Pow Joshi pow.joshi <@t> gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 13:42:52 CST 2013

Hi Brian,

I am wondering three possibilities: 1. the PFA that you use, powder form,
is rather old. ( however, you said that you have tried other powders and
concoctions that didn't work as well!)... perhaps, you could try using
Polysciences Formaldehyde. The sealed vials come as 16% stock that you can
open and dilute immediately.

2. The procedure:  For some reason, the fixative isn't reaching the brain
well enough. The question to you is, do you see clear, whitish coloured
brain after you dissect or would you see it reddish or pinkish in colour.
The reason could be a. the heart stopped beating very early in your
procedure. Perhaps, slightly lower the dose or Avertin/anaesthetic. (I have
had this issue previously, but it almost always works if the brain sits in
the fixative unless it is never fixed! Or, the needle is not positioned
correctly in the left ventricle, and fixative did not reach circulation.

3.Fixation itself:  I Have had issues with the dendrites looking bloated
and nobby with swiss cheese morphology before with only PFA fixation.
These, however, were slice cultures, so different from whole brain
fixations. They apparently needed 4% sucrose in the fixative to take care
of the   However,  I would definitely check that. I would suggest adding 4%
sucrose to the fixative as well and see if it improves the morphology.

Please let us know what worked for you when you solve the issue!!!  Thanks
and Best,

Pow

Message: 4