AW: [Histonet] Bone samples long-term storage in 10% formalin or 4% paraformaldehyde

Orla M Gallagher o.m.gallagher <@t> sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 07:44:47 CST 2013

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I may not have been clear in my question - our researchers don't wish to
decalcify these formalin-fixed bones yet, but rather to store them for more
than a couple of weeks, in case they need to carry out MicroCT followed by
histology later. I'm aware that the formalin or paraformaldehyde will
degrade over time, but I just wondered if anyone has a protocol for storage
without decalcification? I guess transfer to 70% ethanol is an option but
this is also not ideal for longterm storage, and would need to be removed
before decal in EDTA.

All the best,
Orla

--