[Histonet] Re: Questions about IHC on Frozen Sections

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Fri Dec 6 16:29:05 CST 2013

Dear Brett, Liz and Patrick,

I agree with Brett and Liz having been in contact with them over the years.
However if your tissue is of human origin and you want to do CD4 and/or CD8
staining, then the acetone/alcohol fixative should NOT be used. The alcohol
will ruin Human CD4 and CD8 antigens but does not harm mouse or rat CD4 or
CD8 antigen.  I learned this from Dr. Chris van der Loos who is now going to
be sorely missed by the immunostaining community.  For human CD4 and CD8,
the sections should be air dried, then fixed in cold 4C reagent grade
acetone for 10 minutes, then air dried to let the acetone evaporate before
going into the buffer.   I never rinsed my solvent fixed frozen sections in
water, and if the buffer is not made correctly, as I learned the hard way,
the sections can look horrible.   Being a purist, my acetone fixed FS were
rinsed in 3 changes of pure buffer before equilibrating with in protocol
rinse buffer/0.05% Tween 20.   IF YOU DO USE the acetone/alochol fixation,
the sections are fixed at RT in this mixture and then go directly into
buffer for 3 changes.   DO NOT AIR DRY AFTER THIS Acetone/alcohol
mixture/fixative.

If you fix a long, long time in acetone, you can get lesser staining of the
antigen.   Another clever trick is doing a double cold acetone fixation of
air dried frozen sections. This stabilizes the section so that it stays on
the slide better, and doesn't harm the antigens.   It would work for murine
and human FS.   Procedure is:  Fix air dry section for 10 min in 4C acetone,
remove and air dry section for 10 minutes, then return for fix again for 10
min in 4C acetone, then air dry these sections to evaporate away the acetone
approx 10 to 15 minutes, rinse in pure buffer, proceed with staining.

Do NOT rinse your solvent fixed ( or air dried, unfixed)  frozen sections
with water (the enemy!), you want to use buffer to maintain isotonicity and
cellular integrity of the solvent fixed FS.   At the end of a chromogenic
protocol (after the chromogen is developed), you can even rinse with pure
buffer, then immerse the stained sections into NBF to post fix the section
for 10 minutes, rinse gently with running water and then counter stain with
hematoxylin.    This is also a van der Loos trick to improve the cellular
morphology of the nuclei in solvent fixed FS,  and doesn't harm the
chromogen.

Why do you use TBSTw at pH 8?   That pH seems to be a big high for IHC, as
the norm tends to be pH 7.6?

You can also make up this endogenous peroxidase block that will NOT chew
your sections up.   Solvent fixed frozen sections do NOT like strong
hydrogen peroxide concentrations, and this one worked perfectly for us.  It
is also a published method.

PEROXIDASE BLOCK (0.03% hydrogen peroxide)

5 mls DPBS (Dulbeccos, Sigma), pH 7.4 - 7.4

5 ul 30% hydrogen peroxide

50 ul 10% sodium azide

Make up, put in a dropper bottle,  and use for 1 week, refrigerate.  Discard
after 1 week or make up fresh daily.

Add to section, incubate for 10 - 15 minutes at RT, rinse well after
blocking.  If you wish, you can drain off the block, and add new half way
through the block if the tissue is particularly bloody.

If you think the peroxidase block is still too strong, simply do Alkaline
phosphatase methods instead.

Always let your unfixed frozen sections just taken from -80C freezer,
equilibrate for 20 minutes or more to RT before opening a box as water
condensation is the enemy to both antigens and morphology.

I am sure I have repeated a great deal of what Liz and Brett presented, but
it does drive home some points.

Take care

Gayle Callis

HTL,HT/MT (ASCP)