[Histonet] rat's hind paw skin

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 3 14:14:02 CST 2013

Barry has "jolted" me into noticing...thanks.
I occasionally prepare such specimens for Pwax for IHC to detect PGP9.5-positive nerve fibres in the epidermis.

So....std 10% Formalin fixation ( us "PFA" if you must :  I fix for 24 hrs minimum....no problem if longer fixed ) and processing.
I get the researcher to place the fresh  dissected footpad sample onto filter paper, so it fixes flat ( otherwise it might curl).
Doesn't matter if it comes off after fixation.....it will stay flat during processing.
Sure, if you are concerned that it will not stay flat, use plastic mesh inserts to "sandwich" the skin...place them in std plastic processing cassettes.
If you are looking for melanin, you will see it on a H&E, if it is present.

Appreciate any comments on this, Barry.
Always grateful for further insights.

Carl