[Histonet] Rate of microtome injuries in Histotechnology schools.

Anne Murvosh amurvosh <@t> advancederm.net
Mon Dec 2 09:47:17 CST 2013

If anyone wants to cut down on cutting injuries.  Teach the new techs to
use two forceps instead of your fingers.  I'm too old to change but I
know a tech who cuts this way and has never had an injury.  It works
really well on automated microtomes.  Anne

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Tom
Wells
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:11 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Rate of microtome injuries in Histotechnology
schools.

Hi,
I am curious about the rate of microtome cuts that students receive in
Histotechnology schools. We have a rather large program and take in
approximately 60 (or more)  students a year. Our Histotechnology
semester is around 20 weeks long. During that time our students cut
approximately 300 - 400 blocks per student. We typically have
approximately 10 minor cuts per semester. How does this compare to other
schools? Please email or call me directly to discuss this further. Thank
you very much. Tom

Tom Wells BSc, MEd, MLT, ART
Faculty
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences, School of Health British
Columbia Institute of Technology SW03-3088, 3700 Willingdon Avenue
Burnaby, BC, V5G 3H2

E Tom_Wells <@t> bcit.ca
T (604) 412-7594
C (778) 228 -4102