[Histonet] Fixing whole testes

Hobbs, Carl carl.hobbs <@t> kcl.ac.uk
Sat Aug 24 13:13:33 CDT 2013

My sincere apologies...I left the HTML option on, for the 1st post.

I would immediately bisect them longitudinally with a sharp blade, then continue to fix for at least two days ( length of fixation time is irrelevant for anatomical purposes).
You should have done much earlier ( sure, you run the risk of loss of anatomical relationships but.....I can't see what choice you have, given the size of the tissues.
I am always interested in others' views.
Yes and, fix on a rocker roller at RT.
A faster penetration fixing fluid would have been better....you would have to test a few, under your conditions.
NB: Formalin penetrates a 1cm cube of gelatin 250mm in 24hrs so, penetration through a dense heterogeneous tissue, especially the initital penetration of the T albuginea, will be much slower, allowing for autolytic ( necrotic, really, as the tissue is dead) changes towards the centre of the tissue.

Best wishes,

Carl

Carl Hobbs FIBMS
Histology and Imaging Manager