[Histonet] Uncertified Histotechs

Marcum, Pamela A PAMarcum <@t> uams.edu
Fri Aug 23 07:54:29 CDT 2013

This will be difficult discussion for many of us who were OJT in the 60s to even into the 90s however; ASCP and states have now developed licensing regulations that require through CLIA  that almost prohibit the this track for registration.  The problem here is we have too few schools and hospitals willing to go that route.  We are now training people only on automated equipment at many sites and the fact they pass a test does not mean they troubleshoot problems from processing, embedding, sectioning and staining.

We are only looking at people who have an HT or HTL at this point and it can be very difficult.  It is a decision based on the University and CLIA.

Pam

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Sullivan, Beatrice
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 7:29 AM
To: joelle weaver; Jon Hannasch; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Uncertified Histotechs

While I understand the need for certification and continuing education, because of regulations it is very hard to even have your OJT's sit for their certification. Recently I interviewed candidates for an open position at my facility. One candidate in particular looked very good on paper. I brought this person in for an interview. Candidate was certified by CAP as a Histo- Technician. I always test their microtomy skills. Imagine my dismay when after more than I hour this person had not produced one decent slide. Needless to say the interview was pretty much over. Lesson here is that letters after one's  name does not make a good Histo-Tech.

Beatrice Sullivan HT(ASCP)HTL  CLSP(NCA) Corporate Histology Supervisor Virtua,Voorhees