[Histonet] Tissue Tek VIP 6 and contaminated alcohol

McAnn, Sherrian Sherrian.McAnn <@t> va.gov
Thu Aug 15 05:41:50 CDT 2013

Almost sounds as though contaminated with xylene...you may need to have
a professional come out and do a pm and then make sure that it gets
proper daily , weekly and monthly maintenance done. We had the same
problem too and found that some people were not doing proper
maintenance.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Maria
Samaan
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 11:35 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Tissue Tek VIP 6 and contaminated alcohol

The 100% alcohol on our processor has been contaminated lately and I
have been unable to pinpoint the cause.

Our processor recently had a PM and checked out ok.

The alcohol was cloudy when tested with water, which is how we normally
test for purity before/after the recycler.  I was told by the
manufacturer that I should check the alcohol with a hydrometer, the used
100% alcohol from the processor was over 100% (which I have never seen
before).  I also checked a new bottle of alcohol and it also read over
100% so then I wondered if the hydrometer is calibrated only to a
specific alcohol or if it has been damaged.

So far our tissue seems to be processing fine but I would like to fix
this before it becomes an issue.

Thank you for any input,
Maria Samaan