[Histonet] Tissue Tek VIP 6 and contaminated alcohol

Maria Samaan mmsamaan <@t> gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 23:35:04 CDT 2013

The 100% alcohol on our processor has been contaminated lately and I have
been unable to pinpoint the cause.

Our processor recently had a PM and checked out ok.

The alcohol was cloudy when tested with water, which is how we normally
test for purity before/after the recycler.  I was told by the manufacturer
that I should check the alcohol with a hydrometer, the used 100% alcohol
from the processor was over 100% (which I have never seen before).  I also
checked a new bottle of alcohol and it also read over 100% so then I
wondered if the hydrometer is calibrated only to a specific alcohol or if
it has been damaged.

So far our tissue seems to be processing fine but I would like to fix this
before it becomes an issue.

Thank you for any input,
Maria Samaan