[Histonet] Portable fans in the lab

Sanders, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID) jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Sun Aug 4 19:05:52 CDT 2013

We put freshly cut slides on the stainer regularly and we use charged slides exclusively. I simply take each slide and give each a quick sharp flick to snap the excess water out from under the section as I place them in the staining rack and then load on the stainer.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Victoria Baker
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2013 12:32 PM
To: Rene J Buesa
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Jeanne Clark
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Portable fans in the lab

Hi
Rene is correct about standing them up right to drain, but if you are using charged slides water gets trapped underneath the sections because of the + charge of the slide itself.  If you see a bubble on the last section or around  sections on a ribbon you can release the water by just pin pricking them on the edge with a needle point or the tip of a fine tipped forceps. Tap the section and the water will drain away from the tissue.
Joelle is on target with use of a fan if your lab has an increased or high humidity level as this will also affect the water retention on a slide.