[Histonet] Embedding problems-part 2

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 1 11:16:51 CDT 2013

Hi again Everyone:

Thank you for the suggestions.
I use the flat end of an old microtome orientation screw as a tamper.
I hold down the various parts of the specimen for around 5 seconds each,
but I cannot hold down all areas of the specimen at once, due to the
small size of the orientation  screw.
I have found that since brain tissue is so heterogeneous, certain parts
are more suseptible to lifting than others, and I hold those down longer.
After I embed the specimen, I put it on the freezing plate, embed a
couple of more blocks, then top off the first block with a bit more
paraffin, and so forth.
Possibly the heat of the extra bit of wax is causing the lifting?

Thanks again

Tim Wheelock