[Histonet] Embedding problem

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Thu Aug 1 10:26:42 CDT 2013

Hi Everyone:

When I paraffin embed brain tissue, I gentle push down on all regions
(especially the edges) of the specimen(s).
It seems that all of the areas of the specimen (or each of several
specimens) lie flat on the bottom of the mold.
This should ensure that I can quickly obtain a full face when trimming,
with a minimum loss of tissue.

However, I have found that when I remove the solidified blocks from the
mold, parts of the specimen, especially the cortical edges of the
tissue, have lifted up from the bottom of the mold.
I either have to re-embed the tissue, or trim through more tissue than I
would like to obtain a full face for sectioning.

Has anyone had this problem?
How do people avoid it?

Thank you,

Tim Wheelock