[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 113, Issue 31

Nancy Schmitt Nancy_Schmitt <@t> pa-ucl.com
Tue Apr 30 14:03:29 CDT 2013

Michele-
I agree with Mr. DeSalvo.  These vendors will be HAPPY to come in an set up a demo.  Some products are better than others, but it needs to fit into your workflow to be successful.  We ended up going with General Data and have been very happy with their product.
Nancy Schmitt MLT, HT(ASCP)
Histology Coordinator
Dubuque, IA
Message: 7
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:42:48 -0700
From: WILLIAM DESALVO <wdesalvo.cac <@t> outlook.com>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] cassette labelers
To: "Margiotta-Watz, Michele" <mmargiotta <@t> bmhmc.org>, histonet

I suggest you look at either a heat transfer or laser etch product. The laser jet printers can be a bit of a maintenance issue. Also, you need to choose by the information needed on the cassette. 2D bar coding will take some time to print and requires precision in the printing. This is an important consideration in your selection of printer/labeler product.

I have tested and used the Thermo PrintMate thermal transfer printer and General Data (GD) CL-01 laser cassette labeler. Both will produce a very usable and reliable 2D barcode. PrintMate can be used w/ multiple vendor cassettes. CL-01 must use a proprietary coated cassette.

I choose the Thermo PrintMate, for a variety of reasons specific to process and lab, over the GD CL-01. The Microwriter is a different instrument from the PrintMate. I suggest the PrintMate over the Microwriter.

I strongly suggest you set up your workflow, consider your specific needs and then ask each of the vendors to let you demo their units to see which one will work best to support your process.

William DeSalvo, BS HTL(ASCP)
Production Manager-Anatomic Pathology
Chair, NSH Quality Management Committee
Owner/Consultant, Collaborative Advantage Consulting

> From: MMargiotta <@t> bmhmc.org
> To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 16:31:49 +0000
> Subject: [Histonet] cassette labelers
>
> Hi All,
> We are looking to purchase 2 cassette labelers and would like some feedback on which ones you might recommend. Also, is there a difference between Thermo's Printmate and Microwriter? Looks like the Printmate is just a newer version. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Michele
> Histology Supervisor
> BMHMC

NOTICE: This email may contain legally privileged information. The information
is for the use of only the intended recipient(s) even if addressed
incorrectly. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender
that you have received it in error and then delete it along with any
attachments. Thank you.