[Histonet] Talk to me about shelf life and outdates

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Thu Apr 11 09:19:29 CDT 2013

We also have some ancient dyes in powder form that we label "Discard at Loss of Function".  We were audited recently and there was no problem with the labeling, just as long as everything had a label.

Tresa

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cheryl
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:25 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Talk to me about shelf life and outdates

We're prepping for an inspection and I have a small amount of older powdered dyes and substances we can't get any more.    They're dated 'Good until used'.

Would someone elaborate on how we came to have outdates on things that never had them before, and how those outdates are determined?

Is there a procedure or policy you might share so we can keep our old but good items in service until we run out rather than in 12 months (EEEK!!!)

Many thanks!

Cheryl

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)
Full Staff Inc.
Staffing the AP Lab by helping one GREAT Tech at a time.
281.852.9457 Office
800.756.3309 Phone & Fax
admin <@t> fullstaff.org

Sign up for the FREE newsletter AP News--updates, tricks of the trade and current issues for Anatomic Pathology Clinical Labs. Send a 'subscribe' request to APNews <@t> fullstaff.org. Please include your name and specialty in the body of the email.