[Histonet] Talk to me about shelf life and outdates

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Wed Apr 10 17:51:08 CDT 2013

Cheryl

We are not a clinical lab, but we are GLP compliant.  This is how we deal with dry chemicals and stains.  A lot of times they do not come with an expiration date.  If no expiration date/retest date is listed we give them an expiration date/retest date of 5 years post receipt.   After that date we place them in a special area that is marked - Past Retest Date - Do not use until retested.   We have a reagent control SOP that explains all of this.  I'm not familiar with the "Good until used" designation.  For retest we just run a special stain that contains a solution prepared from the chemical and if it stains appropriately we give that chemical a new expiration/retest date and just make sure we document the process appropriately.  We just initiated this SOP recently so have not yet had to perform any retests.   We update our chemical inventory as new chemicals are ordered, but once a year we review and check all our chemicals for inventory and that we have updated MSDS's available.  I can send a pdf of our reagent control SOP if you would like it.  If you are striving to be a GLP compliant lab and are heading to NSH convention this year I'll be giving a workshop on GLP compliance in the histology lab with our Facility Quality Assurance Manager.

Liz

Laboratory Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592