[Histonet] softening agent for tissues embedded in paraffin blocks

Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/OID/NCEZID) jqb7 <@t> cdc.gov
Wed Sep 26 10:46:48 CDT 2012

Quite a few people add a detergent to their ice soak after facing the block and allow it to sit for a while. This is especially helpful if the tissue is skin.

Jeanine H. Bartlett
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
404-639-3590
jeanine.bartlett <@t> cdc.hhs.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 11:44 AM
To: Jose Luis Palazon Fernandez; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] softening agent for tissues embedded in paraffin blocks

Your problem is not finding a "softener" but to decalcify your tissues correctly. Usually histotechs rub decalcifying solutions over the exposed area of the block but that wil affect the quality of the sections so, again, decalcify properly your tissues and you will not have any needs to make any additional "softening".
René J.