[Histonet] Picric Acid

Goins, Tresa TGoins <@t> mt.gov
Wed Sep 19 15:01:49 CDT 2012

A WEB site just for historical interest: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

We continue to use picric acid in the lab, but only as an aqueous or saturated solution.

The chemical safety guys came out and carefully removed the bottle of "moistened" picric acid that we had on the shelf for several years - they were very excited as it was no longer "moist" - Montana is very dry.

Tresa

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Ingles Claire
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:17 PM
To: Geoff; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: mouse testis in Bouins/Picric acid hazzards

Yes, but why take the chance. There are also other chemicals in the lab the picric acid can interact with to make it even more volitile than it was to begin with. Dynamite other explosives have the same problem. The older it gets the more degraded and unstable it becomes. One never knows if or when. I'd like to avoid traumatically amputating my arms if possible, thank you.
Claire