[Histonet] Re: dissecting pins

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 08:50:39 CDT 2012

Kimberly D. Kolman, HT, (ASCP) at the VA center in Leavenworth KS asks:

>>Does anyone know where I can find some large-head pins to use when pinning out large tissue specimens for fixation? We already use the large "T-pins" and the regular bulletin board push-pins are too small. We need something with a larger, easier to grip plastic head, and long (at least ½ inch) pin shaft. - Thanks for your help (and hope it might be one of our 'contract vendors', or I won't be able to use them anyway... L)<<

Go to any of the big stores that sell sewing supplies - they have
innumerable varieties of pins - and pick out what you want. This is
one of a number of items used in surgical grossing that you have to
buy cheaply on the open market or scrounge, like hacksaws for cutting
bone, plastic rulers, metal skewers - I have a whole kit bag of such
items that I carry to my various jobs.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN