[Histonet] cutting bone with metal

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 05:32:56 CDT 2012

Thank you Peggy for the kind intro!

Both Peggy and Andrew are correct that it is possible to perform histology on this tissue and with the metal remaining intact with the specimen. As they both have stated, resin embedding is required to accomplish this, along with some form of saw sectioning using a diamond studded material like a wire saw, disc wheel, or band saw blade. I have even witnessed and personally used a non-contact laser method to cut sections from specimens containing metallic implants, but that is another discussion in itself!

Please feel free to have your researcher contact me directly (see contact info below) Jennifer and I will make sure they get the information they might need to move forward with their study.

Best Regards,

Jack

ratliffjack <@t> gmail.com
615-236-4901 (o)