[Histonet] cutting bone with metal

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 26 04:16:05 CDT 2012

Talk with Jack Ratliff, Chair of the NSH Hard Tissue Committee.

Jack L. Ratliff
615-236-4901
ratliffjack <@t> gmail.com

The answer is Yes, histologic sections can be made, but need plastic resins
(methyl methracylate or glycol methacrylate or something similar) and
special microtomes and knives. If the researcher's lab doesn't do this
technique, Jack can let him know who does, and the tissue can be sent out to
the specialty lab. Paraffin blocks on regular histology microtomes won't cut
it - literally and figuratively.

Peggy Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

The opinions expressed are my own, and do not reflect on Beaumont Hospital.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jennifer MacDonald
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:38 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] cutting bone with metal

I have been asked the following question.  I do not have an answer and was
hoping someone in the Histonet community did.
Thanks.

There is a researcher who is doing orthopedic procedures on broken rat
tibias. The researcher is repairing the tibias with metal rods or
plates…not sure which (and the doctor isn't sure what kind of metal
either). The researcher wants to know if it is possible to make histologic
sections of the repaired tibias with the metal intact