[Histonet] Number of blocks

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Thu Oct 25 07:50:20 CDT 2012

As a histo lab supervisor I would never ask nor demand that my techs do
something that I cannot do myself. I would have to say that that number
sounds a little high to me, but it would depend on the type of specimens
being cut.

Just my thought, Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dorothy
Ragland-Glass
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 7:38 AM
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Number of blocks

It was annouced by a histo lab manager that techs are expected to cut
40-50 blocks per hour. That seems to me to be rather high. I don't see
quality slides being turned out. It is quantity and profit above patient
care. I am old school, and I remember something about quality and
patient first. Besides  what kind of impact on morality of the techs,
back problems and carpal tunnel syndrom is laying ahead for the cutter
after cranking the microtome repeatedly that many blocks without a
break.