[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 107, Issue 14- CLEANING MOLDS

Karen Kay Karen.Kay <@t> albertahealthservices.ca
Wed Oct 10 10:40:26 CDT 2012

Good Morning Bill,
We clean our molds once a week via the purge cycle in our tissue processor.  They come out very clean and ready for a release spray after which they are stacked and placed back into the embedding unit. The molds are used for the week.  We alternate the cleaning cycles amongst the embedding centres so that all molds are not being cleaned at the same time. This system has worked well for us and has eliminated much of the "manual" aspect of performing this task.
It also greatly lessens the possibility of any small fragments of tissue that could be left behind if the tray is removed before the block has had long eough to totally cool.

Karen J Kay, MLT
Supervisor - Histopathology and Cytology Laboratory
Chinook Regional Hospital -South Zone West - Alberta Health Services
960 - 19 Street South
Lethbridge, Alberta - Canada
T1J 1W5
Phone: (403) 388-6061-  Fax: (403) 388-6067
karen.kay <@t> albertahealthservices.ca

----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 2:32 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Metal molds

 OK folks, I know I should be smarter than this and I haven't seen discussion on it lately....

Are people cleaning their metal embedding molds after evey embedding session?

If not, how often do you clean them?

Do you clean them at all?

If you clean them, how do you do it?

Thanks

Bill
William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC Senior Histologist Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847

SERENITY is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm.

Cultivate it in PRAYER!

This message and any attached documents are only for the use of the intended recipient(s), are confidential and may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, retransmission, or other disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and then delete the original message. Thank you.