[Histonet] re molds

Steven Weston Steven.Weston <@t> utas.edu.au
Tue Oct 9 17:44:23 CDT 2012

Topic: cleaning holds

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu> [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2012 2:32 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu<mailto:histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Metal molds

OK folks, I know I should be smarter than this and I haven't seen discussion on it lately....

Are people cleaning their metal embedding molds after evey embedding session?

If not, how often do you clean them?

Do you clean them at all?

If you clean them, how do you do it?

Thanks

Bill
William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC Senior Histologist Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847

SERENITY is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm.

Cultivate it in PRAYER!

We clean our holds by boiling them in a metal bowl in water with dishwashing liquid and occasional agitation on a hotplate in the lab.
Let them come to boiling and stir a few times to release any wax, then allow the whole thing to cool. The bulk of the wax should form a skin on the top of the water which can be removed and thrown away in the bin. The holds can then be rinsed well in hot tap water to remove any residual wax and then dried in a drying oven.

Steve Weston
Lab Manager
Centre of Research Excellence for Chronic Respiratory Disease.
Menzies Research Institute
0408990859
62264871