[Histonet] Specimens for TEM

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 10:04:18 CDT 2012

I really do not understand your question because you are referring to TEM and on the one hand you use an H&E staining and light microscopy and on the other you talk about specimens being embedded in 7100 plastic resin.
First of all it seems that what you are doing is "resin embedding" so you can section thinner but that is not Transmitted Electron Microscopy (TEM) which involves the use of an electron microscope, along with an ultramicrotome (among other things) and for which the so called "thick sections" of the specimens embedded in EPON resin are usually stained with toluidine blue.
Unless you have an electron microscope, you are not doing TEM and, if that is the case and your pathologists want to diagnose using the cell ultrastructure, then the specimens have to be sent to a lab doing that procedure.
René J.

________________________________
From: Allyse Mazzarelli <allyse124 <@t> gmail.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Friday, October 5, 2012 9:52 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Specimens for TEM

Hi all,

I have a question about transmission electron microscopy. Currently, at the
lab that I work in, we use a basic H&E stain and image with a light
microscope. However, it was brought to my attention today that there has
been talk of sending some specimens out for TEM imaging. I currently embed
my specimens in 7100 plastic resin. I was wondering how others out there
process/embed their specimens for TE microscopy. I've never participated in
TEM before, so any help anyone can give me would be great.

Thanks!

Allyse Mazzarelli