[Histonet] eosin in the processor

Davis, Cassie CDavis <@t> che-east.org
Wed Nov 28 09:41:39 CST 2012

Hi Kim,

try 10cc of the prediluted Eosin (you use in H & E staining) in your last 100% before your Xylene on the processor. By putting it in the last absolute it will not wash out. Your first Xylene will end up a little pink but your eyes will not strain as much trying to fine the tiny tissue fragments. (great for thread-like prostate biopsies too) We had been using it for years & our IHC seems fine. Make sure to keep your solutions for the clean cycles maintenanced on the automatic processors to avoid clogging. The only reason we stopped was the folks we purchased the new processor from told us using it would invalidate the warranty on the new processor.(I really miss it)

Cassandra Davis
CDavis <@t> che-east.org
302-575-8095

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Kim Merriam [kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:54 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] eosin in the processor
Hi Everyone,
Years ago, my lab used to put eosin in the processor to lightly tint the smaller mouse tissues.  I can't remember which station we put it in (I think it was the 2nd 100% ethanol).  Also, back then my lab didn't do any IHC; will the eosin affect any IHC that might be done (I am guessing no, but I want to be sure).
Thanks,
Kim
Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Cambridge, MA

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please delete this message, and
reply to the sender regarding the error in a separate email.