[Histonet] eosin in the processor

Lynette Pavelich LPaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Wed Nov 28 07:42:14 CST 2012

Of our 3- 100% ETOH on our processor, we put about 75mL of LIQUID eosin in our "dirtiest" 100%. Our purchased eosin is made with 95% alcohol, and it works very well, not affecting the processing.

We used to use about 1/4 tsp of Eosin Y powder in our "dirtiest" 100%, but as it needs some water to dissolve, it caused trouble in the valves of the processor (oops). We tried using it in our 95%, but it got too washed out by the end of processing.

No ill effects on our IHC.

Lynette

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] on behalf of Kim Merriam [kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:54 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] eosin in the processor

Hi Everyone,

Years ago, my lab used to put eosin in the processor to lightly tint the smaller mouse tissues.  I can't remember which station we put it in (I think it was the 2nd 100% ethanol).  Also, back then my lab didn't do any IHC; will the eosin affect any IHC that might be done (I am guessing no, but I want to be sure).

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Cambridge, MA