[Histonet] Re: GMS fungus control

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 12:48:38 CST 2012

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP)QIHC at Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services,
Bangor, Maine asks:

>>What is everyone using for their fungus control for GMS? We have always used pneumocystis when looking for pneumocystis, and Aspergillus when looking for fungus, but wondering if anyone uses any type of fungus just to see that stain worked properly. We are having difficulty locating tissue for both pneumo and Aspergillus, and are trying to avoid buying commercial QC slides.<<

It's preferable to have a pneumocystis control when needed.
Histoplasma is the best fungus control, when you can get it, because
it's the most difficult to stain. In ordinary surgical material,
aspergillus is most often seen in paranasal sinus material.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Maryville TN