[Histonet] Question on frozen section IHC and tissue adhesion

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 09:38:07 CST 2012

Formalin fixed tissue is not adequate for frozen sectioning unless you place it in sucrose first before going into OCT and frozen sectioning. Spleen is particularly difficult for its high blood contents. Ideally you should try to obtain unfixed tissue.
René J.

________________________________
From: "Thurby, Christina" <christina.thurby <@t> bms.com>
To: "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:03 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Question on frozen section IHC and tissue adhesion

Hi all,
I am performing IHC on tissue that was formalin fixed for 48 hours and then embedded in OCT.  I have been using Gold Plus slides from Thermo Fisher.    I am staining rat spleen and mandibular lymph nodes.  With a peroxidase method, the tissue completely digests off the slides as soon as I apply the peroxidase block (looks like pouring hydrogen peroxide on a cut - just turns white and bubbles off of the slide).  I have tried various concentrations of peroxidase block with no luck.  With the alkaline phos method, the tissue is staying adhered to the slide, but I am getting significant 'tissue lifting' which makes the pathologists interpretation very difficult.  Is there anyone out there with experience in doing IHC on formalin fixed frozen sections that has experienced similar 'tissue lifting' problems?  I have ran this antibody on this tissue with immunofluorescence successfully - that may be the only choice we have for this particular tissue.
 Would really like to be able to perform this staining with either an HRP or AP method for light microscopy if possible.

Christina Thurby
Bristol Myers Squibb
812-307-2093

This message (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary, privileged and/or private information. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity designated above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately, and delete the message and any attachments. Any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this message or any attachments by an individual or entity other than the intended recipient is prohibited.