[Histonet] Microtome knives

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Nov 18 08:50:11 CST 2012

There are knife sharpening services Sturkey and Dorn and Hart are two that
come to mind.  You can also find refurbished disposable blade holders and
buy disposable blades, the blade holder you get will determine if you use
low profile or high profile blades.

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Ruegg IHC Consulting, LLC
40864 Arkansas Ave
Bennett, CO 80102
Phone: 303-644-4538
Fax: 720-859-4110
pruegg <@t> ihctech.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Massimo
Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:45 AM
To: Jon Krupp; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Microtome knives

I prefer to sharpen my microtome knives by myself by hand.
I have a vintage Cambridge Rocking Microtome and despite its age it works
very well.
Sharpening is a time consuming for the first time, it's depends on the
conditions of the blade edge.
Once you have a nice cutting profile its maintenance it's quite easy and it
takes a few minutes by
stroking the knife on a flat glass with oil and a bit of aluminium oxide
powder (3 -1 micron grits).
For me sharpening and honing of a microtome knife has became a secondary
"hobby".
A solid knife has the advantage, compared to a disposable blade, to be
liable to less vibrations.

Kind Regards,
Massimo Tosi

"A humble Chemical