[Histonet] Help! Liver mistakenly processed in paraffin (had tobe in OCT instead)!

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Nov 18 08:45:42 CST 2012

Yea if you were looking for fat that will be lost with paraffin processing,
so the oil red o for fat will not work.  I would not see any point in trying
to depara and then snap freeze, but if I did want to do that since the
tissue is formalin fixed I would depara, fix some more in formalin and then
infiltrate the tissue in 30% sucrose overnight before snap freezing, if you
do not do that fix tissue will not section well frozen.

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Ruegg IHC Consulting, LLC
40864 Arkansas Ave
Bennett, CO 80102
Phone: 303-644-4538
Fax: 720-859-4110
pruegg <@t> ihctech.net

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer
MacDonald
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:15 AM
To: z o n k e d
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Help! Liver mistakenly processed in paraffin (had
tobe in OCT instead)!

It depends on what you are using the oil red o for.  Lipofuscin and ceroid
can be demonstrated with an oil red o stain after processing.
Jennifer MacDonald

From:   z o n k e d <zonked <@t> gmail.com>
To:     "histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu"
Date:   11/13/2012 08:53 AM
Subject:        [Histonet] Help! Liver mistakenly processed in paraffin
(had to be      in OCT instead)!
Sent by:        histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

Hello Histonetters,

First time writer, long time reader. I'm a newbie tech in academia and I
was given a simple task which I think I pretty much screwed up.

I should have embedded half of a mouse liver in paraffin for microtome
sectioning while the other half should have been embedded in OCT for
cryosectioning (for oil red o). I made the mistake last night of placing
both liver halves into the tissue processor. The liver I intended for OCT
embedding is now hard as wax. Is there any way to deparaffinize processed
organs and may I embed them in OCT for proper cryosectioning? I imagine
that the liver would get dehydrated, I would get crappy sections, and Oil
Red O won't work.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you so much,

Zoe W.

--
"It costs nothing to say something kind. Even less to shut up altogether."

    --Nathan Fillion