[Histonet] H&E Question

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Nov 14 10:20:00 CST 2012

I never heard of "Azer Scientific hematoxylin" but if you can leave the sections in it during 12 minutes and it is still "weak" for your pathologist, it seems that it is a "progressive" hematoxylin, of the Mayer type.
Progressive hematoxylins are somewhat tricky and have to be very fresh to work well.
I have always used and preferred "regressive" hematoxylins of the Harris' type. With them you are in control of the staining when you differentiate them up to the strength proffered by your pathologist.
My advise, since it seems that you cannot satisfy your pathologist's demands,is to switch to a Harris type hematoxylin and stop fiddling with the hematoxylin you are using. I always used and preferred Harris by Richard Alan. Switch and your problems will be over.
René J.

________________________________
From: Jaclyn Pitts <pitts.jaclyn <@t> gmail.com>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2012 10:50 AM
Subject: [Histonet] H&E Question

Hi All,
I am having a problem with my staining, ( well, I think its pretty good but
the path says its not cark enough for her)
So, I am using Azer Scientific Hematoxylin Extra and I initially started
out with 2.5 min in it. I upped it to 5  min and then to 10 and 12 min. The
problem is the control I have works and looks great at the 2.5 min. Besides
just keeping it in the heme longer what else can I do? I have cut a few
extra dummy slides today so I can try different things out with them. I am
tired of hearing from the path everyday that the heme is too light for her.
I am a new lab for a derm clinic and I work alone so its basiclly up to me
to figure this out. Please help! Thanks!

Jackie