[Histonet] Microtome knives

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 14:13:23 CST 2012

Because of your donated knives  you will have to buy a knives sharpener which are costly and not very easy to find.
Your best option is to buy a high profile disposable blades holder (that will be cheaper), buy disposable blades and avoid all the frustrations and waste of time sharpening knives.
René J.

________________________________
From: Jon Krupp <jkrupp <@t> deltacollege.edu>
To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2012 1:49 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Microtome knives

Greetings

I need some advice regarding microtome knives. I am not  histo tech, I did all my sectioning in a plant research lab, but now I find myself needing to learn more about histo type methods.

We have microtomes, AO 820's, and we have a bunch of donated knives. I need advice about whether it would be better to find a knife sharpener and use the microtome knives we have, or check into getting a disposable knife holder.

When I was sectioning, we just used a simple razor blade holder. Now I see references to high profile and low profile blades and holders, and I don't know the difference.

Anyone willing to help me out?

Thanks

Jon

Jonathan Krupp