[Histonet] decal affecting IHC

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Fri Nov 9 12:00:28 CST 2012

Diana

I agree with Jack, formic acid is the way to go in my opinion, we use 10% formic acid routinely but have pushed it up to 20% on occasion when time was an issue.  HCL can work if its controlled really well but you don't have much wiggle room, you can over decal quite quickly, formic acid is a bit more forgiving.  As for Rene's comment we have seen the exact opposite with respects to the EDTA decal part.  Granted we do not run a lot of IHC on EDTA decaled samples but on several occasions and with several antibodies we were able to obtain good IHC staining in formic acid decaled samples but those antibodies did not work well in EDTA decaled samples.  These were not direct comparisons of the decalcification method on the same study, but on samples from different studies so other factors could have affected the results.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC
PO Box 18592
Boulder, CO 80308-1592
(303) 682-3949 office
(303) 682-9060 fax
(303) 881-0763 cell
www.premierlab.com

Ship to address:

1567 Skyway Drive, Unit E
Longmont, CO 80504

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2012 10:47 AM
To: Diana McCaig; 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: Re: [Histonet] decal affecting IHC

IHC reactions can be affected by decalcification especially if:
1- the tissue is not perfectly fixed before going into decalcification
2- decalcification is done at temperature above room temp.
3- decal solution is too acid, specially made with inorganic acids.
If at all possible decalcification should be done with a chelating agent, like EDTA
René J.