[Histonet] ALK Positive lung slides

Mark Tarango marktarango <@t> gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 13:11:11 CDT 2012

Hi Jill,

Have you tried using cases that you've already sent out to other labs and
they've reported as ALK-positive?  That is how we validated this assay in
my lab.  Most cases aren't "very" positive (you only have to find 15 cells
out of a hundred that you count to call the case positive if a second
observer agrees).  You're supposed to look around for positive cells using
your dual green/red filter.  Since most tumor cells show a fused yellow or
adjacent red & green signals, you really do have to look around for them a
little.  Because of that, I'd suggest doing the validation with cases that
have a range of % of positve cells.  If another lab calls a case positive
at 25% positive cells then you'd want to get that result too most of the
time.

That being said, I can send you some de-identified slides from a case of
metastatic (to a node) NSCLC that is "super" positive.  I do think it is
helpful to see what a case with a very high % of positive cells look
like.  This is what we're using as our positive control.  We think it's
better to have a tissue control than the cell cultured cells, processed
into cell blocks, that are on the slides sold by Abbott.  Send me your
address and fedex # if interested.

Mark