[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 102, Issue 26

Kuhnla, Melissa Melissa.Kuhnla <@t> chsli.org
Wed May 23 06:23:09 CDT 2012

Hello,
I also use Ventana Ultra instruments.  We have had our air share of
tissue adhesion issues as well. We currently have most of it under
control by doing the following:

1. We switched from standard plus slides to Fisherbrand Excel Adhesion
slides (cat #22-034-985). I believe they are meant for automated
staining, solutions of varying temp and pH, etc.  We did see an
improvement!!
2. We at all time handle our slides with gloves on.  We dip and dry
controls upside-down.  I was very clear to us that dipping and handling
the slide while cutting the control section altered the charge of the
rest of the slide.  As a rule of thumb...if we need to repeat things due
to tissue loss, we run it on a slide by itself and run a separate
control.  If a focus of tumor is very small or tissue is minimal to
begin with, a pathologist may request separate controls right from the
start.
3. We also altered some of our processing schedules.  At first we were
loosing a lot of small biopsies and FNAs.  We shortened our processing
and now they adhere fine!!
4. We discontinued the use of recycled Xylene in the processor as well.

BTW, We routinely cut at four microns, dry vertical for 15 minutes and
bake at 60 for 90-120 minutes

We have this issue under such a microscope here that we know it will be
impossible to get rid of this all together.  Breast cases (and sometimes
skin) remain to be the only culprits.  These tissues just by nature may
always be a problem.  We now are contemplating running batched controls
for ER/PR cases so all those cases are on their own slides.
Hope this helps.
Melissa