[Histonet] Monoclonal antibodies from different companies

William chapcl <@t> yahoo.com
Tue May 22 10:20:54 CDT 2012

In general, the antibody itself is the same antibody. Clone types are generally purchased by different companies from the same source. They are usually purchased by the supplying company highly concentrated and then prepared for secondary sale by diluting (even when purchasing concentrating antibodies) and adding buffers and proprietary stabilizers. Antibodies treated in this way can vary substantially from one company to another.

Companies also buy cell lines that will retain the same clone number, but will be grown by the ihc supply company in house and prepared as above. These can be better or worse.

In general, the best clones are proprietary clones that are sold by the individual company - usually discovered or purchased while partnering with a researcher or educational institution. These can be among the best quality products supplied by an ihc company because the company is putting its best foot forward and wants to protect their exclusive rights.

I can provide specifics off-line. Who knows I may work for one of those companies in the future or may have worked for them in the past.

Will Chappell, HTL

Sent from my iPhone