[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 102, Issue 24

Joanne Clark jclark <@t> pcnm.com
Mon May 21 13:34:53 CDT 2012

We used to have this problem too, till we switched to Tru-Bond slides from Tru-Scientific.  Our contact is sara <@t> tru-scientific.com .  We also try to dry our slides for 1 hour in the 60 degree oven whenever possible and especially for really fatty tissues, like breast.  We haven't had any problems with antigen integrity.  I think greater than 60 could cook your tissue and affect things, but if you make sure it doesn't go any higher you should be OK.

Joanne Clark, HT
Histology Supervisor
Pathology Consultants of New Mexico

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:25:21 -0500
From: "Brendal Finlay" <brendal.finlay <@t> medicalcenterclinic.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Help
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'

Nancy,

We've had similar issues with fatty tissue falling off of the slides
while performing IHC.?? We use Superfrost + slides which we have found
to really hold the tissue well.?? Also, I have learned through reading
round on the??Histonet??that air drying doesn't completely remove the
water from the middle area of a tissue section.?? For this reason, we
no longer air dry at all unless it's a slide that was cut the day
before and just happened to be air dried.??

Our protocol changed to cutting the slides and draining them well,
then putting them in a 60 C oven for 15 minutes.????Then??the slides
are run??down to water on an automated stainer with another 15 minute
time in the oven on the stainer.??

A specific instance??when the tissue falls off,??was during antigen
retrieval in Trilogy in a pressure cooker.?? If the pressure was
manually released, this would cause the Trilogy to boil??and??it would
separate the tissue from the slide.?? Ourprotocol changed to 12
minutes in the pressure cooker with Trilogy, then around 8 minutes??to
wait for the pressure to release on it's own.?? We would then rinse
softly in distilled water to remove the??Trilogy.?? This also seemed
to help with the issue.

??

The combination of this??has worked??fairly well for us with some
exceptionally stubborn tissue still??attempting to fall off of the
slides.????I would love to??hear of other's experiences and??how they
resolved this.????

I do wonder about the length of time in your oven.?? I had spoken with
one of our Biocare reps about this when we encountered the problem and
he felt that longer than 30 minutes in the oven would damage the
specimen's IHC integrity.??

Brendal Finlay HT (ASCP)