[Histonet] paraffin melting in VIP

Sarah Dysart sdysart <@t> mirnarx.com
Fri May 11 13:51:56 CDT 2012

This is probably a best case scenario, but for labs like the one I am currently in I melt it in the processor.  My lab doesn't have the funds to buy me a melting pot (I have had them in all my other labs, just don't know what they are technically called).
To answer your question it usually takes overnight and it's melted, but sometimes I end up having to add a little more to get to top off level, that takes a couple hours.
Good Luck!!

Sarah Goebel-Dysart, BA, HT(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Mirna Therapeutics
2150 Woodward Street
Suite 100
Austin, Texas  78744
(512)901-0900 ext. 6912

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 1:28 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Subject: Re: [Histonet] paraffin melting in VIP

Regardless of the time it takes or of how many people do it, melting the paraffin directly in the VIP should not be done because it causes the heating elements to work extra reducing their useful life. They are quite expensive to replace!.
Melt the paraffin outside the VIP and use the VIP only to keep the melted paraffin at the temperature you desire.
René J.