[Histonet] how often do you change your hematoxylin?

Maxim Peshkov Maxim_71 <@t> mail.ru
Mon May 7 13:52:47 CDT 2012

Meryl,
We uses for more than 15 years a home made regressive
hematoxylin Lillie. Our lab stains approximately
5000-6500 slides monthly. We does our stains maually.
We never change our solution, but time to time add new
hematoxylin for necessary level in stainig dish.
Everyday we filter our working solution after workday.
Never any metallic film on surface.
Before hematoxyline we rinse rack with slides in DW 1
minute and drain excess water.
Always very good results.
Sincerely,
Maxim Peshkov
Russia,
Taganrog.

You wrote:
We are currently using a vintage solution,
and the manufacturer states that it should
be good for 2500 slides.
We are not a high volume lab;
and currently I am finding that the longest
I can stretch it out for is 2 weeks max,
in which time we have stained less than 1000 slides.
How often does on average do you change your
hematoxylin? Do you think maybe it could be getting
diluted by water dripping from the slides;
or maybe it is oxidising in the air? Thanks, Meryl

                          mailto:Maxim_71 <@t> mail.ru