[Histonet] Re: bone marrow aspirate

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Sat May 5 12:14:33 CDT 2012

I don't do the procedure any more, but earlier in my career I did
about 400 iliac crest aspirations and biopsies, reading them all
myself. I always had an assistant, whom I often trained myself - you
really can't both tend to the patient and make the smears. If the
assistant didn't have her own method, I'd teach her to squirt some of
the aspirate onto a slanted slide, pick up the particles with a broken
applicator stick and move them to additional slides to make smears.

I'd then squirt the rest of the still unclotted aspirate into neutral
buffered formalin, which of course doesn't clot blood, so that you get
a suspension of tiny particles in clear liquid. This could be poured
into a tea bag (or nowadays into one of those little nylon bags) for
further fixation and subsequent processing.

In those days I'd also put the bone biopsy specimen and a clot into
Zenker/Helly fixative, which of course is no more all gone. I don't
see any reason to process clots today, unless the aspirate clots
prematurely.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN