[Histonet] re: Frozen brains on cryostat

Donna J Emge d-emge <@t> northwestern.edu
Thu May 3 18:34:45 CDT 2012

Andrea,

I have had this happen periodically with fixed, sucrose cryoprotected frozen brain samples. Unlike fresh frozen brain samples they may not pick up flat and will usually be much wrinkled in the center. Our theory for such samples is that they were inadequately fixed before being placed in the sucrose solution, but I haven't tested this as the cause. What works for me is to use a brush to lightly moisten the slide with distilled water and then pick up the section. This works great. Do not over wet the slide though - just dampen it.

One other thing, if they are fixed, sucrose cryoprotected samples then you will likely need a colder temperature -20 or -21C for sectioning than the usual -13 to -17 C that would be used for fresh frozen brain samples.

Let us all know what ends up working best for you.

Donna J. Emge, ASCP-HT
Mouse Histology and Phenotyping Laboratory Manager
Northwestern University
Olson Pavilion 8-333
710 North Fairbanks Court
Chicago, IL  60611