[Histonet] Re: Redneck Lent

Bob Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:13:32 CDT 2012

I think this thread is the longest I've seen in fifteen years on
Histonet! I find the joke a little lame, but the thread gets funnier
and funnier.

If the joke gives offense, it's because its writer clearly has only a
very dim idea of Catholic practice (either Roman or Anglican - I'm an
Episcopalian). It would be lot funnier if these details were
rewritten.

Lesley Weston then tried to tell a comparable story from Jewish
history, only to have it intercepted by his corporate netnanny,
apparently because it contained the word J-w. I think of playwright
Herman Wouk's book about his Orthodox faith he published about 50
years ago - "This Is My God" is I think the most profound work of
religious apologetic written in the 20th century - well, maybe C.S.
Lewis's "Mere Christianity" - Wouk the playwright wryly observed that
the word J-w uttered on the stage is always a shocker.

As an aside, when you forward anything on the Web, make sure always to
delete all the accumulated e-mail addresses in it - they're an
invitation to spammers.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN