[Histonet] April fool's prank

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:16:43 CDT 2012

There are a few I remember from the past:

Telling the pathologists that the processor has been delayed or stopped
running in the alcohols.  If you ever want to see them go bonkers - that
one will do it.

Loosening or taking out of bulbs from microscopes - not a very nice thing
to do but I've heard of it.  Also make sure that the back up bulbs have
been safely secured elsewhere.  No I've not done this......but I'm told a
pathologist or tech without their microscope can be pretty intense.

There is always the sick call thing - but it has grown sort of old.

Having a pathologist read a fake slide.  We used an oak leaf - made out all
the paperwork and all of it tied into 'woody' things.  Had an unsuspecting
green tech gross it in and so on.  It's amazing what you can pull off on
newbies.

Put Vaseline on the microscope stage - slides will go 'slip sliddn' away as
they try to adjust x/y positions.

Tape or block (pennies sometimes work)  their top center desk drawer shut -
they can't open other drawers if that one won't open. (or am I dating
myself).

Replace sharp pencils and pens with dull pencils(stubs if possible) and
pens that don't work or are difficult.  There is always replacing their red
pen ink with blue or black ink.

A favorite is replacing a keyboard or loosening a connection on their
computer or dictation machine.  If it's a 'dead' keyboard they don't know
what to do initially - if it's a wrong keyboard it's even more fun.  PC vs.
MAC in the beginning they don't even look they just don't know why it won't
work.  It's before they've had the chance for their 5th cup of coffee.

For the techs -

Setting the microtome to 0 on older ones or changing the auto to not
advance.  I had trouble with the automated ones but found I could rig it
just right.  If ever practice made perfect - this was one, because I
learned alot on my own about automation there.

Have fun and be creative.  Lab work can be pretty intense - some good clean
laughs break the intensity.