[Histonet] Neurofilament - LFB combo -- problems

karen p kpilarc <@t> comcast.net
Wed Mar 21 08:38:40 CDT 2012

To anyone who performs a NF-LFB (+PAS) combo stain using a Ventana
Benchmark:

I have been trying to stain a nerve (cross and longitudinal section) and
it keeps falling off of the slide after the neurofilament stain.  It's
been cut onto a charged slide and has been baked 20 minutes prior to IHC
staining.  After IHC staining, we have rinsed in Dawn-water per
protocol; by then the longitudinal section is peeling off the slide.  I
tried skipping the Dawn rinse and have gone to straight 95% alcohol and
1 of 4 sections survived on the slide (others fell off).

Tissue problem - the nerve is well myelinated and fatty.  If I drop the
water bath temp too low, the nerve doesn't flatten well; if the temp is
too high, it's shredding and spreading.

Has anyone out there had this problem and resolved it?  Or do you have a
protocol that might have avoided it completely?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.