[Histonet] CLIA qualified

Pratt, Caroline Caroline.Pratt <@t> uphs.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 20 15:19:12 CDT 2012

The risk of that rate is the candidates that will likely apply might not
have a strong skill set and if you find one that does, as soon as you
train them, they will likely leave for more money, but at the end of the
day, you will have to let the budget weigh in.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jay
Lundgren
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:21 PM
To: Bruce Gapinski
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] CLIA qualified

Bruce,

     You need a recent college grad with the requisite hours of science
courses.  If a PA would be overkill, I suspect you need someone to just
describe your small bx's and dump them in a cassette.
     In the facilities where I have worked where they have such a
position,
the "grossing tech" with a B.S. makes much less than a HT (ASCP) with a
high school diploma.  It is a position of great responsibility, with low
pay.  I would start in the neighborhood of $10- $12. an hour, but I have
no
idea what that equates to in California money.  About 40-50% what you
pay a
starting Histotech.
     By the way, I would suggest you hire someone with no experience
and train them yourselves.  No experience equals no bad habits.  Finding
person with the right attitude, who understands that the Histology
lab literally deals with matters of life and death, is the hard
part.  Technique can be taught.

                                                        Sincerely,

                                                             Jay A.
Lundgren M.S., HTL (ASCP)